We have had 2 hens sitting on eggs and one lot were due to hatch today. But on Friday morning when I went out to feed them I was horrified to find one of the hens had broken open some of her eggs. I wont go into the gory details, needless to say chicken canibalism/infanticide is truly awful. On a happier note I was able to salvage 3 unopened eggs which I put under Flossy who conveniently had gone broody 3 days earlier. 36 hrs later her 1st chick hatched then this morning the other 2 eggs also hatched - she doesn't seem too phased by this (usually it takes 21 days for eggs to hatch).

Flossy with one of her chicks - the other 2 were a bit camera shy, will pester them later to see if I can't get a better pic, one of them is yellow and very cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment